Wednesday, November 19, 2008

SMART MOUTH CORNBREAD (Spoon Bread)

Don't be confused by the lime. There is no lime in the recipe. That was for the Corona.

***Note***
Jan tells me that this is actually Spoon Bread and not cornbread. I will defer to her expert opinion and have edited my original title to reflect the correction. Spoon bread or cornbread, either way, it's yummy, easy, easy and I hope you'll try it.

I got this recipe from a former co-worker/friend who is an African-American woman. At the time, her husband had just returned from serving in the military overseas. Upon his return, their church had a welcome home party for him. Our whole office was invited. Our table consisted of all white people and we were the only white people in the church. We were hard not to notice.

During the ceremony, each table was asked to have one representative speak to or about this honored soldier. Our office manager was supposed to speak but she didn't show. I was the business office manager and next in the chain of command, therefore elected to speak for our group.

On Monday morning, my friend told me that the women from her church had asked about who that white woman was with a butt like a black woman. She told them that I was the business office manager and her friend. She then proceeded to tell them that not only did I have a butt like a black woman but I have the heart of a black woman and can cook like a black woman. I have no idea what that means but I know it was a compliment. That was the day she gave me her cornbread recipe.

This cornbread is so moist; I usually eat it with a spoon. It does hold together but is very moist and sweet. If you like your cornbread dry and not very sweet, you should skip this recipe.

2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix (Don't be judgin' me because it's a box) I've tried making it from scratch and it never turns out as good.

2 eggs

2 heaping Tablespoons full of sour cream (I'm talking about a real table spoon here, like for soup. Not a measuring spoon.)

1 small can cream of corn

A splash of milk


Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit

Stir until all ingredients are evenly mixed but be careful not to overmix. The batter will be lumpy. Spray cooking spray into 8x8 baking pan. Pour batter into pan and smoothe mixture evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean when done.

This is very easy. Remember do not follow the box instructions. I'm sorry that I can't be more specific with the measurements. I can only tell you that I've made this hundreds of times and I'm sure my measurements are never the same twice. It always works.

Enjoy.



23 comments:

Jason, as himself said...

I'm not a huge cornbread fan, but I'll bet this is amazing.

However, i am a big Corona with lime fan!

Anonymous said...

I'm a big Corona with lime fan too and I believe we must be sisters because I too have the butt of a black woman. Not sure about the heart thing. :)

Jiffy cornbread mix?? Here I thought you'd give me hell because my corn pancakes are made from Jiffy and you use it too. There's no use in trying to improve on perfection, right? *wink*

Anonymous said...

My sister makes cornbread from the Jiffy box; I use my grandmother's recipe. But it looks interesting; I may give it a whirl.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and since it's sweet and you eat it with a spoon, it's technically a spoon bread (the definition of spoon bread is a sweet cornbread you eat with a spoon).

Okay, now I WILL try it.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Jason-OK, my corona recipe is very easy too: Use bottle opener to open. Add a slice of lime to the neck of the bottle. Stick your thumb in the bottle, turn bottle upsidedown until lime goes to the bottom of bottle and right the bottle. Remove thumb and enjoy. If you can do it without spraying yourself and friends, you're better than me. Or you have a bigger thumb. LOL D1 taught me this. It's nice to see what our dollars for a college education taught her.

MLS-I laughed myself silly when I saw that your recipe was from Jiffy. I knew I would hear from you about that today. LOL

Jan-I just knew you would go to judging. LOL
I've tried several cornbread recipes from scratch and well, yuck. So I'm very excited to try your recipe. Oh and I laughed.out.loud about the smackdown because I knew you would be surprised when you saw it was Jiffy. LOL

Lucy told me once that it was spoon bread but as I've already discussed Lucy had her own way of saying things and I just thought it was one of her Lucyisms. LOL So spoon bread is a real thing?

Lori said...

Make I take my peice of cornbread with Corona and a slice of lime too? Looks and sounds yummy. Now the Corona I know I will love! Now it may be cold here but I still like a nice cold Corona with lime! Yum!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Smiles-Help yourself, Dear! Corona warms your innards, doesn't it? LOL

Anonymous said...

from a box is definitely a recipe i could handle...i'll be trying this one...and passing it along to a few others i know will like....

and because of that damn lime, i now have a craving for a Corona at 7am on a work day so thanks ALOT for that...guess i'll have to settle for one of magical brandy's steamed Starbuck's apple juice things instead :)

happy friday!

Anonymous said...

You had me at Corona. ;)

I LOVE cornbread!! This recipe looks fantastic.

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Spoon bread is a very real thing - I have umpteen recipes for it, but my very favorite is the Southwestern Spoon Bread I've posted on my site. Your recipe could easily be converted to something similar - add a chopped chipotle pepper, some chopped roasted red bell pepper (canned would be fine for both) and some chopped onion that's been sauteed in a little butter.

Good stuff, Maynard.

qtpie said...

I just happen to have 2 boxes of Jiffy corn bread mix at home... Guess what we're having tonight??? I'll be the spoil sport and skip the corona...

Pseudo said...

I'm making chili for our multifamily camping trip coming up and am going to star your corn (spoon) bread alongside it. thanks SMB!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Thistle-Do it. All it requires is stirring, just not too much. Enjoy. Sorry about the Corona craving....oops.

GF-I'm tellin ya, friend. This is no pad thai! You can do this. Try it and let me know!

Jan-Who knew? Well... you, I guess. LOL I am definitely going to check out both your spoon bread and cornbread recipes one day soon.
Who the heck is Maynard?

QTP-You're gonna love it and your family will kiss you! I hear it goes really well with diet mountain dew also. LOL

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Pseudo-I can't wait to hear about all the rave reviews you will get and how you were the STAR of the cookout!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

@Pseudo-oops, camping trip, not cook out.

The Chicago Blogger said...

Thank you! I can't wait to try it!

The Chicago Blogger said...

and thanks for the words on my posted. You're a doll. :)

The Chicago Blogger said...

oops, that word was "posting".

Ok, I'm done. lol

The Daily Rant said...

I love cornbread. I love sweet cornbread. I love things I can eat with a spoon. Therefore, I will be making corn...scratch that...SPOONbread this year as my contribution to Thanksgiving. I don't even care if anyone else wants it - I'm bringing my spoon and I'm gonna eat like a black woman.

Well, a white woman who is cooking like a black woman, who then eats what she cooks, which if she was black when she was cookin' it, she must be black while eating it, right? Spoonbread, here I come!

I have to say though - my favorite thing about this post was the caption under the photo: "Don't be confused by the lime. There is no lime in the recipe. That was for the Corona."

Best to head off any confusion right off the bat.

Salena of The Daily Rant
www.bellavenere.blogspot.com

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Salena-Huh? No really, I know exactly what you mean....I think. LOL I'll be waiting to hear what your family thinks of the corn..oops...spoonbread. Better make a double batch. Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard about the black butt and black heart. I went to Nigeria a couple of years ago and they taught me how to stick my butt out when I danced. FUNNY. Hey, I use Jiffy all the time. I bought 4 boxes tonight at the grocery so will try your spoon bread next week. Love the Corona & Lime too. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I don't think we have Jiffy cornbread in Calif???? But it sounds good. I looooooooove Corona w/lime ... it's my fave!!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Steppinthru-I think you should do a video and post it of you doing the Nigerian Booty dance.

24-I thought Jiffy was everywhere. LOL Well you can always enjoy Corona and with your own cornbread recipe.