Monday, January 19, 2009

THE MAKING OF A BIKER CHICK - Mount Rushmore

It would be really hard to name a favorite stop on our bike trip out west but Mount Rushmore was most definitely one of them. The history of the area intrigued me. I loved stopping to read all the plaques that tell the tales. I loved the mountains, the trees, the cool air, all of it. I regret to say that my photography skills are no match for the beauty of this monument. (The above photo was "borrowed" from the internet.)

After riding for two days in extreme heat with temperatures soaring to 114 degrees, we were more than grateful to get to some higher elevation where it was much cooler. From this point forward, the trip just got more and more beautiful.


I always tried to take pictures of the signs as we entered the parks so I would be able to sort the albums later. Getting MHS to slow down for a decent photograph was not always easy. I found that a nice jab to his middle usually worked well.

This was our first view of this spectacular monument to Presidents Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt and Lincoln. Around this corner is the entrance to the park. We didn't enter the park during the day but instead chose to take a ride through the mountains and return that evening for the presentation.
We encountered lots of bikers on our trip. No wonder as it was some of the best riding in the world, I'm told. There is an unwritten bikers' code that you always wave to another biker. Not an elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist princess wave but a low, subtle, 45 degree, straight arm, two finger kind of wave.





The views from this overlook were gorgeous.


See what I mean. If you've never seen it, this gives you an idea of just how big this thing is. You can see it from miles away.
If you look closely (and you may have to enlarge it), you can see the monument thru the tunnel.

I love these old wooden bridges.
President Roosevelt peeks through to say, "Bully for you, Smart Mouth Broad!" I can't be sure but I think I saw him wink at me.

When it started to get dark, we headed to the park for the show.



The Biker Nazi and The Saint lead the way.



This is the view looking up from the moving bike.

The entrance to the amphitheatre has this very impressive flag display. You can see the Presidents overhead watching us walk in.

After the flag display, these mountain goats are just roaming free right there. Y'all know how I love goats.


At the end of the history of Mount Rushmore presentation, the park ranger asked for all of the United States Military veterans to come to the stage. Once everyone was there, a round of applause erupted and it went on forever. It was awesome and brought tears to our eyes.

Pièce de résistance
The monument stays dark throughout the whole presentation and then is lit at the end.
Breathtaking!

17 comments:

Lori said...

I can only imagine how breath taking this was on bike road trip. Awesome! What wonderful memories you have!

Anonymous said...

You are saving me a bundle of $$ in travel as I feel like I'm there in person -

Really beautiful and I'm completely jealous.

Anonymous said...

I love these two posts...all areas i hope to see in person some time...Mt Rushmore is one of those things that amazes and boggles me with the work that it took to create it...Thanks so much for sharing these!

Lo said...

oh how sappy am i that my eyes are tearing at the veterans standing up??? my dad is a retired marine, a sergeant major, for 30 years.... and i am always, always so touched to see marine's honored.

and also? i NEVER KNEW that mt. rushmore was so freakin big!! that is SO impressive.

Anonymous said...

I'm writing all these places down in my "bucket list of places to visit before I die" book but I'm thinking it won't be on a two wheeled vehicle with HBL at the helm. Yikes! I can only imagine.

I want my daddy to visit this just he can stand on stage and be honored. They all deserve to be honored every single day.

You take great photos going down the road 70 MPH, ya know.

Reader Wil said...

What a wonderful ride this was. Thanks for taking us with you. The presidents depicted in the mountain rocks are awsome. When we were in Denmark with the family in 1976, we went to Legoland and saw the presidents made of lego stones. It was beautifully done.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Smiles-It really was beautiful.

Lisa-Should I send you a bill? *wink* Glad you enjoyed it.

Thistle-Mount Rushmore was amazing. I hope you make it there one day. You'll love it.

Lo-It's huge! You need to take Vlad to see it.

MLS-I want to accomplish your bucket list with you. How fun would that be!

Oh and we weren't going 70mph. That's the beauty of not traveling the interstates, you can go pretty slow and take it all in. I had a code for MHS when he was going to fast for my comfort in the mountains.

RW-You should come see it someday. And come to see me too.

SaraG said...

Great great post. I took my Grandma to see Mount Rushmore for the first time in May of 2008. It almost takes your breath away the first time you lay eye's on it.
Great photo's!! Thanks for sharing.

Vodka Mom said...

that was incredible! That is one place I have always wanted to see!!!

Reader Wil said...

That sounds great!

binks said...

Thanks - I feel like I was there.

Joan said...

My husband would love to do a road trip like that, but try as he may, he can't get me on the back of his bike. I'm such a chicken s*it.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen it at night before and I actually didn't know it was possible! That's beautiful. I am completely enamored with this country and what it has to offer us! Thanks for sharing your trip. I'm totally loving it! I love your blog!

K Dubs said...

WOW
I really want to do a cross country trip with my son and stop at all these amazing places. Great pictures!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Sara G-Thanks for visiting my site. I hope you'll come back again.

VM-Two words: Field trip!

RW-Great, Can't wait!

Binks-Glad you liked it.

Joan-You should try it. I was nervous too. Still am sometimes but it is a great experience.

BV-Yes, the view at night is spectacular!

Kathy-It sounds like a great plan. Stay tuned, there are many more places you have to see.

Pseudo said...

I've always wanted to go there. Maybe I should give hub a jab to his middle to take me ; -)

Great photos, made me feel like I was right there.

Debbie said...

I've never been there but I would so like to.