Tuesday, May 5, 2009

THE MAKING OF A BIKER CHICK – Cody, Wyoming

Beartooth Inn was the first lodging we came across as we approached Cody. It looked nice and clean and we pulled in to check it out. It was perfect. Just look at the view.

Picture 309 Cody, Wyoming is named for the famous Buffalo Bill Cody. I was anxious to get a butt break explore the museum but we decided it was a little too late when we arrived in Cody and we would have more time to really take it in if we waited until the next day.

Instead, we checked out the Harley store. MHS had to get his t-shirt, you know. I got a great pair of gloves on clearance. I still thank the Harley gods for that great find every time my little fingers are cold. You know what HD stands for? If you said Harley Davidson, you’re wrong. Hundred.Dollars. Yep, you can’t get out of any HD store without being $100 poorer. (That’s not really true but it’s a “joke” that a biker told me on the ferry ride to the statue of liberty after giving me directions to the Manhattan HD store.)

After we got our shopping fix, our bellies were getting a little grumbly. A local recommended a great Mexican restaurant. We got there just before 9pm and they were closing up shop. Note to future travelers: Cody is a great little town but they roll the streets up early. Those cowboys gotta get up early, you know.

Plan B was Wyoming’s Rib and Chop House. This turned out to be a serendipitous change in plans. We had been on the road for about a week and some comfort food was sounding really good to me. I ordered the pot roast and I am still trying to re-create that recipe at home. It was served with a mountain of red potatoes mashed with the skins and the pot roast was shredded and completely encircled the mountain. I have no recollection of what anyone else ordered because I was in love with my plate and had eyes for no other. That and a few beers and I was one happy woman.

The next morning, The Saint and I went on an exciting adventure to the laundrOmat while MHS and the Biker Nazi explored Cody on the bikes. MHS took the camera with him so I have no pictures but it was a very nice laundrOmat. *wink*

Picture 316

I said it before and I’ll say it again: I like people in my pictures but MHS and The Biker Nazi like to photograph their bikes.

Picture 324

This photograph was taken from the parking lot of the hotel. Beyond the mountains in the distance (and a really long ride) lies Yellowstone, our next destination.

Picture 327 MHS is scouting for lodging.

Picture 328

Halt, thief! Who is that masked man trying to steal Bill’s rifle?

Picture 340

It was hot! Be kind and try to ignore that I’m posting a picture of me in shorts. ACK!

Picture 332That’s BN and MHS on the other side of those rifles.

The Firearms Museum was really cool. So many guns, so little time.

Picture 333The Biker Nazi and The Saint stop to make a memory.

Picture 334

Two Grumpy Bears

Picture 336

The Saint dared me to climb up on this horseless saddle. I can’t resist a dare. We’re lucky we didn’t get thrown out. This was before they confiscated my water bottle. (Nice helmet hair, huh?)

Picture 337 See how the men are patiently waiting for us to conclude our horse-less ride? Wait, is that the BN’s foot I see tapping?

Picture 339

Aren’t you glad we don’t get our mail like this anymore?

Picture 338MHS is completely oblivious to the fact that he’s about to get an antler in the arse.

We had a great time in Cody and I would love to go back one day.

Coming soon to a blog near you: The Making of a Biker Chick – Yellowstone National Park. Buffalo and elk and bears! Oh my!

***Note***

Links to earlier “Making of a Biker Chick” posts are listed on my sidebar.

26 comments:

Belinda Augustus said...

What an exciting trip. And to think they have LaundrOmats clear out there. . .

Joe Todd said...

Nice shorts from a smart mouth guy.. Looks like you had a great trip

Anonymous said...

Damn, jealous again!

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed that you made that fantastic trip and actually remember every moment. :) That looks like a place we'd love to visit. Maybe someday.....

Anonymous said...

Whadaya mean helmet hair? You look soooo pretty! And what a wonderful time you look to have had too.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

As usual...I loved this post. Makes me miss Patrick and the life we had so much.

Twenty Four At Heart said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. That first picture is so beautiful ... the view!

Reader Wil said...

Thank you so much for showing the wonderful set of photos! That museum is interesting. You must have had a great trip!

cheatymoon said...

I love these posts. Dan wants to buy a bike... I could see us doing this (when the kids are all grown up and gone...lol).

Thanks again for the travelogue. Can't wait til Yellowstone!

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

Girl........sorry I'm so behind in my commenting but do read ya faithfully!! I've been so blessed in my catering business that I don't have as much time to catch up and get the comments out like I used to. Love the teepee shot (and sooo hope you didn't stay there, lol).
You always look like you're having a blast. I love that!!! Prince and I grab life by the balls and go for it too (okay, maybe not the best way of putting that, lol).
Are you sure that's not the way we get mail anymore???? Seems like it couldn't take much longer these days :)

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Anonymous said...

that looks like fun. I wish my husband was into 'roughing it' because that to him is roughing it. ;)

Deb said...

Looks like fun! I so need a road trip although I would take 4 wheels:) My husband has been after me for 3 years to buy a bike. I love the picture of you on the saddle! deb

Linda said...

Oh Man! I miss the West. In my next life I'm gonna be a biker chick...with my own bike. The ELPH had one when we met & I was so disappointed when he sold it B4 we could take a road trip.
This looks like such an awesome trip! You in your shorts and (not)helmet hair look fantastic!

Unknown said...

They confiscated your water bottle? What was that all about!?

Great pics and, for helmet hair, I think it looks darn good!

Jan said...

Oh, would that I looked that good in a pair of shorts.

Now I must go recover from your description of the pot roast. I've had no breakfast and there is drool all down the front of my shirt.

Pseudo said...

Look how blue that sky is! I love how you make us feel like little birds on your shoulder.

So many fun things in this post, but the polar bear and antler shots were fun favs of mine.

BTW You look terrific i shorts and if that is helmet hair, well, I'm just saying. You look great.

Phat Mama said...

I love the pictures, you're beautiful!

The Hogs are nice too.

I want some of that pot roast dish.

Wunderwoman said...

I'm jealous! Wonderful pics!

Debbie said...

What a nice trip and great pictures you took! You are beautiful Smart Mouth and what a great smile you have! You are such a cute couple and lead such an exciting life together. I can see the love you have for one another in the pics. Thanks for sharing, I love your posts.

Blasé said...

Ride 'em, CowGirl!

Debra said...

What wonderful pictures! I love how the guys have their bikes facing each so perfectly in the pictures. I must say you have the best damn helmet hair I have ever seen! My hair is curly and just goes flat from a helmet and it is GROSS! Yours is beautful....you biotch! JUST KIDDING! Not about the hair, it is rocking helmet hair! I am jealous!

darsden said...

Oh My I am so jealous. The bikes are just beautiful...or should I say hogs. Awesome what a wonderful trip you had...I know you be some kind of tried too. The pictures are just beautiful..

Okay that's me being all sweet with dimples showing for my first comment.... Open season NOW...LOL

Have a wonderful evening and thankyou for visiting...

ps I live in shorts.. 25 degrees outside I am in shorts :-)

Girl Tornado said...

Can't wait to see your Yellowstone post. I loved Cody and loved this post. Gawd, I want to go back. NOW. :)

I stayed at Absaroka Mountain Lodge just outside of the east entrance of Yellowstone. www.absarokamtlodge.com Twice. Loved it. Great lil lodge restaurant, and Gunbarrel Saloon. The owners were great, very personable, but I think someone else owns it now.

Oh, you look great on the saddle, LOL. You guys are crazy like we were, always getting ourselves in trouble.... :)

TONY LETTS said...

Now stop it! Getting me thinking about riding a m/bike is just too silly not to mention downright dangerous. I'll stick to 4 wheels. No not a wheelchair - pack it in!
Great post as usual!

California Girl said...

that's wild. Do you go to Sturgis for the big Harley get together each year? We have one in Laconia NH too but you probably know that. looks like alot of fun.

Julie said...

Wow! Looks like a great trip! I love all the pictures, I've never been to Wyoming.

BTW - You are WAY too hard on yourself. You look really cute in your shorts and your (helmet) hair is perfect. Mine doesn't look that good when I work on it. :)