I made it to Yoga (aka Yogurt class) today. You might have heard me mention that I joined a new gym because it offered more classes and was closer to my office making it more difficult for me to talk myself out of going on the 30 second drive there. I left my office early today to try the yoga class. I have very little experience with yoga but there are a few things I know for sure:
- Yoga is harder than it looks.
- I am wound up tighter than a top.
- It's not acceptable to laugh out loud at yourself when you can't assume the pose. (I learned this lesson the hard way.)
- Yoga improves your flexibility and that is something that we all need to work on as we get older.
- It's hard for me to remain silent for an hour.
- There are some positions that this body just doesn't want to assume no matter how much I will it to go there.
- Yoga reminds me of a very somber hokey pokey and that makes me laugh which is of course…..is not tolerated.
- It's hard to ignore belly fat when your nose is in your navel.
- If you let me lie there for too long, I'm going to fall asleep.
- It's hard to find your inner peace when you had to cut off two cars and scare the crap out of three pedestrians to make it to class on time.
There are a lot of things I need to know about yoga but we'll start with just 10: (Braja, are you out there?)
- What in the name of stretch pants and bottled water is a chakra and why does it have so many colors?
- Will it eventually become clear to me how to breathe AND twist myself into a pretzel at the same time?
- Is it considered bad form to yell BOOYAH when you finally make it to the toes you've been reaching toward for an hour?
- Don't be fooled by the title of this post. I have no idea what that word means. So?……….. what does it mean?
- It does get easier, right?
- Is it possible that maybe yoga just isn't for everyone? (Even though I really want to do this.)
- What makes yoga pants…..yoga pants?
- When people say "hot yoga", are they referring to the temperature in the room or the participants in the class?
- Why "hot yoga"?
- Is there something that I should know but I'm so clueless that I don't even know to ask?
If you are a yoga instructor, take yoga classes, or stumbled in a class once and can answer any or all of my questions, please leave a comment here. If you are as clueless as I am, please tell me that too. I don't like to walk alone.