Why is it that men don’t seem to have that filter in their brain that stops them from saying things that will send a woman into a tailspin? Shouldn’t we make them take a class …..or two? Maybe congress should propose a bill that will make it law that every mother must teach her male child how to say the right thing or at the very least know when to keep his mouth shut. Put that in the damn hopper!
Maybe it’s just the men in my life that are afflicted with this hoof in mouth disease but it seems to be spreading. Forget H1N1, Science should create a SHUT IT BEFORE YOU GET A SPIKED HEEL UPSIDE YOUR HEAD shot. There are three women on the board of directors at CVS. I’m pretty sure we could convince them to donate the vaccine as a public service.
Not convinced? Here are just a few examples of the lack of filter of which I speak:
- MHS greeting me at the door - “Rough day? You look really tired.”
- Produce guy at the grocery store - “You look really tired today, Ms. Broad. Everything OK at the SMB place?”
- Idiot at the Sandwich Shop which has a salad I love
and an employee I want to punch in the face- “Is that one of those blackberrys? I hear you can do just about anything with one of those. Your salad will be ready in just a few minutes. You look tired. Are you tired”
I’d like to point out that the above statements were not made on the same day. Maybe that’s just MY FACE!
OK, so maybe I do look tired. I AM tired. And I REALLY don’t need or want to be told that it shows………….even if it’s true. Don’t they realize that no matter how you wrap it, the statement says, “Wow! You look like crap today.”
You sympathize with me but you still aren’t sure this matter needs the attention of our national government? Allow me to further illustrate:
- After spending a small fortune to cut, color and style my hair, MHS says - “Wow! It’s really short.”
- My father once told me after we were already in the car and on our way to our destination that he didn’t like my perfume and thought it smelled cheap. He couldn’t have said something before we left the house? I had to go around the rest of the day thinking that I smelled like a cheap French whore.
- Let us not forget that after Daughter #1 recently got me all gussied up for Daughter #2’s Sorority New Member reception, MHS’s only remark was that I reminded him of a flight attendant. *Not the look I was going for*
There is hope though. The other day I was talking to Daddy on our daily chat during my commute from work. We were talking about exercise and diet and our progress. Daddy said, “Yeah, I could tell the last few times that I saw you that you’ve lost weight. For awhile there you were looking a little……………………………..*crickets*
His filter kicked in a little late but the important thing is that it DID kick in. Even at 77 years old, he is learning. Could this be a sign that the male foot in mouth epidemic is over? I’m not taking any chances, I’m calling my congresswoman.
I want to thank everyone who commented on my last post. Your words of encouragement and advise to D2 were well received. Even those who didn’t have advise but left complements served to boost her spirits. Don’t you just love the blogosphere! You guys are THE BEST! I’m sure everything will work out just fine.