I have since discovered what the ER doc was saying when he mentioned that “this may not take.” The sutures didn’t do their job. The wound is still open. No, Janie, I’m not going to post pictures because it’s ugly and gross and I don’t like ugly and gross. I only like the pretty pictures.
It doesn’t cause me a great deal of pain but it is most definitely a pain in the arse. I have to keep a bandage on it. My hands are always in water which means that the bandage is always falling off. Frankly the whole ordeal has just pissed me off. Looking on the brighter side, I can only hope that I will remember this inconvenience and be more careful in the future. And at some point, I hope that this household will return to normal and won’t come to a complete stand-still every time I pick up a knife.
I’ve learned a few things over the past week while suffering the consequences of my thumb injury. It hasn’t been all bad. I’ve listed the pros and cons should you be considering slicing off a piece of your thumb for some reason:
- In the beginning, I didn’t do any dishes. There was beaucoup sympathy and willingness to help. As time moved on, sympathy waned and I had to step in because things just don’t get done fast enough to suit me. (But I’m not a control freak)
- Same goes for help with housework.
- ……. and help with cooking.
- You can draw a face on your bandage and play sock puppets
- I did find that new best friend at the ER registration desk. I heart you very much, Ms. Registration Lady.
- Milking it gets me special privileges sometimes.
- I’ve convinced my family that ice cream promotes faster healing.
- I’ve learned to crack an egg one-handed like a pro.
- It hurts a bit when I bang it on something (and I seem to do this alot)
- Texting minus one thumb is difficult and awkward .
- Typing a blog post, comments, etc is difficult because the bandage gets in the way and pushes more than one key at a time.
- My family won’t give me a handicap in Wii Wii competitions . (maybe because I still kicked butt even though I was the “Thumbless Wonder”)
- I can’t remember to take the stupid antibiotics. Every six hours is ridiculous! Who can do that?
- Wound dressings don’t come in holiday colors. It would have been nice to bling up my bandage for New Years.
- I had to sit out for skeet shooting at the range. *pout*
- I’m not sure what happens next but I’m pretty sure that it’s going to hurt and that is a little frightening.
So there you have it. If you’re thinking of slicing off a piece of a digit for any reason, you now have the tools to make an educated decision. I am nothing if not a public servant.
Be careful out there.