I’m a rule maker and a rule breaker. For most of my life, I’ve followed the rules. I’m a people pleaser. I don’t like to disappoint. I like to have a clear conscience when I lay my head on that
most uncomfortable pillow in the world at night. As I’ve gotten older (and we ALL know I’m getting older) I tend to bend, twist, jiggle and downright disregard the rules if they don’t suit me. And sometimes, I like to make them up. These are but a few of the rules with which I was raised and still follow or I made up on my own.
1. Never eat more than two cookies at one time. However cookie dough may be eaten by the bowls.
2. Never give a wallet or a handbag as a gift without money in it (even if it’s just a penny). It’s bad luck.
3. Always smile and wave hello to someone passing by on your street. Friendly is better.
4. Always take at least a bite of birthday cake when offered. To do otherwise is like unwishing a happy birthday.
5. A dill pickle must be served with a grilled cheese. It is the law. I have mentioned this one here before but it bears repeating.
6. Never cheat at cards, board games, love or life.
7. Never lie. Omitting the truth is a viable option. Lying about one’s age, real hair color or your weight is an acceptable exception to the rule.
8. Never touch Mommy’s stash of dark chocolate hidden way back in the freezer.
9. If Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy. And if Daddy ain’t happy, ain’t nobody cares.
10. Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
What are your rules?