Daughter #2 is all moved into her new apartment, pledged to a sorority, her classes and work have both begun. She is a very busy girl. I’m happy to report there was no drama during the move. The apartment is nice and most of the time, she was busy with rushing for sorority, so we didn’t get to see her much. Daughter #1, MHS and I did our best to set her up. We left her with a few more things to organize and a few more pictures to hang but other than that, she is good to go. We ended the move with ice cream from that same shop that calmed our nerves and soothed our souls last year. Is there anything better than ice cream?
I did learn a few things during our moving adventure.
- Never order a margarita in a college town. It comes in a glass as big as your head (for $7) and if you finish it, you may or may not be able to walk to your car without assistance. Just sayin’.
- There is nothing dirtier than a college kid’s kitchen. (Due to the fact that one of D2’s room-mates lived in the apartment last year, the common areas were not cleaned by the apartment complex and were instead supposed to be cleaned by the roomie. That didn’t happen.) I think something exploded
several years agowith every cabinet and drawer open. ACK!
- Not all girls love pink. (Pink is very big with my girls no matter how old they get.) D2’s roomies were kidding her about her love for all things pink. (I think she did a great job of using the color with sophistication, instead of bubblegum style.)
- If you do order the margarita, stay away from the hotels with striped carpet. I’m getting a headache just thinking about it.
- Even though kids need the same items every year at the beginning of school, stores will still run out of important items like shower curtain hooks, ethernet cables and mattress pads.
- It’s best to pre-medicate your husband before said shopping adventure begins if he lacks the patience of a saint like MHS. (MHS hurt his back during the move. I was armed with muscle relaxers and he was a kinder, gentler MHS all day long.)
Some Mamma Mia lyrics might be in order:
Each time I think Im close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time