Sunday, August 2, 2009

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED

walking

I’ve had a hard time sticking to my workout regimen lately. All of a sudden the things that I’ve been neglecting while sitting on my fat arse blogging have piled up to the point that they can no longer be ignored. I’ve spent the last couple weeks trying to play catch up. Friday arrived and I committed myself to getting back on the exercise wagon because as you know my physician has informed me that I have one foot in the grave and it’s critical to improve my health it’s good for me. I made plans with Daugher #1 to go for a long power-walk after dinner.

When I say “power-walk”, I use the term loosely. D1, on the other hand, takes it very seriously. She walks like my mother…………….FAST! I have little stubby legs that have a hard time keeping up with her gait. Sometimes she even runs ahead and then runs back to get me. (Always good for my self-esteem) I’m no stranger to cardiovascular exercise and can usually hold my own with women my own age but this young chickee pisses me off, runs circles around me provides a challenge to which I can aspire.

We walked 4 miles on Friday evening. It was HOT! But it felt good. So good in fact that we made plans to walk at the beach the next morning. We walked for an hour the next morning at the beach. We wanted to power-walk so we didn’t go down to the water but instead chose to remain on the sidewalk where we could walk at a good clip without obstacles to slow us down.

The beach walk pretty much wiped me out. I think I was a little dehydrated and it didn’t help that I mowed the yard when I got home. By evening, I was feeling more than a little stiff and sore. I went to bed early to read and avoid excess movement that resulted in pain.

This morning, I awoke with the worst kink in my neck and my back and legs are so stiff and sore. It always amazes me how walking uses such totally different muscles as any other exercise including running. If you exercise regularly but don’t walk often, I would caution you to take it easy and ease yourself into it or end up like me: Popping muscle relaxers and ibuprofen while whining, moaning, groaning, b*tching, cursing and whining some more on the couch while watching favorite movies, tweeting and blogging.

All that and my crackberry died a slow death by drowning at the hands of a wicked water bottle that erupted all by itself. Contrary to reports by eyewitnesses, I swear it wasn’t my fault! I was merely trying to save the life of a flying library book and happened to have said water bottle in my hand at the time. Library book – 1, crackberry – 0. I think that the Palm Beach County Library system should reimburse me for my expenses to replace the phone and I don’t think it would be excessive to throw in a million or two for pain and suffering. (I’m sure that must be where the kink in my neck came from.) Oh sure…I’ll get a new crackberry but I’m not sure I can ever love another. It will never be the same.

Before I go back into my drug-induced coma, I want to mention that Nanny Goats in Panties is having a giveaway. Rachael Ray 10-pc cookware set! I think they would look very nice in my kitchen. In fact I’m sure of it. I get another entry by mentioning it here. You should go there and try to win them yourself or you could increase my chances to win by completely ignoring this paragraph. It’s up to you.



Hugs,
Smart Mouth Broad

19 comments:

Blasé said...

Power Walking and the Stair Climbing machine are two of the best things you can do.

cheatymoon said...

Great post.
I'm going to go for a walk. Had been thinking about ditching, but here you are... :-)

midlife slices said...

You're such an inspiration to me as I sit here on the couch thinking i should be walking. Ugh....I need a kick in the arse!!

Beth said...

You go, girl! Power walking is a great way to exercise!

I'd cry if my crackberry died. Yep, I'd cry tears of happiness. I'm so sick of being electronically leashed to work.

Mike said...

All the technological advances in our society, you can talk to someone 12000 miles away or send them photos in matters of seconds, but they cannot make a phone that can survive a bit of moisture!!! LOL!

Joanna Jenkins said...

#1 Power Walk
#2 Hot bath
#3 Sleep late
#4 Skip Power Walk next day

That's my workout schedule :-)

Sorry about the Crackberry.

xo

Liz Mays said...

Friday I might have said...ya big wimp, stop your whining and work out!

Today I say otherwise.

Jan said...

Y'know, Otin's got a point, there.

You walked FOUR miles??? I walked to the refrigerator and back.

I'm good.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Blahzay-I agree but I get bored easily and have to mix it up. I like Pilates and Yoga and then there's always cow racing.

Movie-Glad I could inspire someone. I hope to be back up and running tomorrow so I can go again.

MLS-Just do it. (Where've I heard that before? Hmmmm?)

Beth-I wish I could run like you (so does D1) but I don't think my knees can take it until I take more weight off. I'm gettin there.
I was completely lost without my crackberry. Hence...the name.

Otin-Exactly!

JJ-Oh so that's the secret. *slaps self on forehead*

BV-Well that sounds like a story. Don't hold back, girl. Spill!

Jan-I am doing everything I can to have the wii wii tell me that I'm merely overweight and no longer obese. I'm soooooo close.

Kelly P said...

I exercise everyday.My routine is get up,make coffee,go back to the bedroom,brush teeth,make bed feed cat,do some stretching,get a cup of coffee sit down watch about an hour of tv.Feed my dogs,get dressed,go to work,walking all day long at work,(its retail),drive home,pick up any loose things, make dinner,get a shower,watch some more tv,10:00 go to bed,and start all over the next day.OH BOY!!! What a f!@#$ing life I have.I have a good idea. We all need to meet somewhere and have a bloggers walk,a bloggers get together somewhere where everyone can meet. hmmmm Don't think thats going to happen,but hey!It was just a crazy thought.

Maureen at IslandRoar said...

I just read somewhere that if you put a wet phone in a bag with dry rice, the rice will absorb the water and it will work. Don't know if it's true, sounds like yours got swamped.
Keep up with the exercise. I find stretching at the end keeps me from being more sore, and I pay when I don't. Neck kinks are the worst.
Feel better!

Hit 40 said...

When are your girls going back to school or to work?? You need some time off from all of their "LOVE". For heavens sake...

healthy eating and exercise? Are they trying to kill you?

Jeanette said...

Where have you been all my blogging life! You are hysterical!

Default said...

Wonderful post!
Brilliant!
I love your blog!

Pseudo said...

Oh dear one I hope you feel better soon. If you lived close by we could go walking together....

Pseudo said...

Oh. And so sorry about your phone. I think the water bottle should chip in for the cost.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Amazing what muscles any exercise uses. That's why I spent the weekend in my hammock. Had no desire to utilize a single one of them. Will pay for it, I know.

Anonymous said...

Listen I dont know how you can go for a walk in this weather- I'm ac bound 24/7- it's just too flipping hot! now tennis I don't mind for some reason but J asked me to go for a walk the other night, we walked out and i turned right around- TOO MUGGY!

TONY LETTS said...

Walking is my favourite exercise of all