Monday, December 8, 2008

NUTS ABOUT NUTS

***Note***
I haven't forgotten about Thistle's Helping Hand's Project. The treats that I'm posting about play a small part in my plan. I'm having some difficulty writing about it but know that there is a plan in place and I'm working on telling you all about it.

I've got another recipe for you today. But before I get to that, let me tell you about my trip to the mall during my lunch hour today. I.AM.GETTIN'.MY.CHRISTMAS.ON! I've got the Christmas tunes playing in the car. I'm practicing random acts of kindness by not cutting off any cars or stealing any parking spaces. (Because I'm so pure of heart and all)

I found a parking space right away, right up front. Shhhhh, don't tell MHS! He insists I park in the next county because he thinks I need the exercise so as to avoid door dings. At least I didn't take advantage of the valet parking that they offer at the mall. Can you believe that! Well, believe it, because we have valet parking at the mall. MHS would have really had a fit if I had done that. He's very particular about our vehicles but you'd never know it right now because my car is puritty dirty.

Once in the mall, I'm on a mission. I have a goal and I accomplish it quickly. I can't mention what said goal was as there are family lurkers here and the surprise would be ruined. With my main purpose already in the bag (pun intended), I had some time to kill so I decided to look around and see if I could get any ideas. Both my daughters are fashionistas. (Remember the scarves for shooting trap?) I wandered my way over to a store that I don't want to mention here because they aggravated me so badly; I don't want to promote them in any way. If you are familiar with the chain, the store has a front porch. In the mall! Normally I love me a front porch as I love porch sittin'. Not here though. Not this place. The music blasting out of the store was so loud that I didn't get five feet from the entrance and I was done. Not feelin' it! But I did a quick once through against my better judgment. It was so loud that I could see the salesperson's lips moving but I couldn't hear what she was saying. So I ignored her and moved on out the door.

I know I'm old. I have a birthday coming up really quick that proves it. But shouldn't these stores realize that at this time of year, it's the parents laying down the cash and make it more enjoyable for us to shop there? Just an idea. You know…..if I ran the world. Anyway, I moved on. Next I came uponColdwater Creek. Lovely store. They played nice music that was relaxing and made me want to browse thru every area of this beautifully arranged store. Yeah, yeah, I know. It's a store for the old broads. Duh, that's me.

Do you think I can convince D1 and D2 to start dressing like old ladies?


Here it is, another Smart Mouth favorite treat. This one is tops on MHS's list.

Cinnamon Pecans

½ cup sugar

2 tsp. cinnamon

½ tsp. salt

1 egg white (beaten til frothy)

3 cups pecan halves

(I usually double or triple this recipe for one batch) and then make 3-4 more batches.

Preheat oven to 325 f. Combine sugar, cinnamon and salt in small bowl. In a large bowl, whisk egg white til frothy. Add pecans and toss to coat evenly. Add sugar mixture and toss again to coat evenly. Spray cooking spray on jelly roll pans and spread pecans in a single layer. Bake until toasted and crisp, about 20 minutes. I have a gas oven and I find it takes 15-18 minutes for mine.

Use a spatula to immediately loosen pecans right out of oven.

Cool. Store in air-tight container.


I give these in those same Christmas decorated plastic bags with a ribbon like the white trash.

If you like pecans, you will love these! Or my name's not Smart Mouth Broad. Well, actually my name isn't Smart Mouth Broad. But you're gonna love 'em!

23 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

I love sweet nuts. i mean, uh, you know what i mean, right??

Smart Mouth Broad said...

VM-Sure, I know what you mean! *wink*

King of New York Hacks said...

Referring to Vodka Mom ...my nuts are sweet....but my balls are sour , go figure. LOL

Anonymous said...

I see you wrestled your laptop away from MHS. LOL I'm wondering now how full you fill your bags because you know what I did tonight and I was stingy with the goodies (I think) because those bags were barely full and I still only got 5 of one kind of goodies and 6 of the other.

btw, I hate you now because I've eaten so much white trash I'm sick and ashamed. *wink*

Smart Mouth Broad said...

King-Thanks for stopping by. I love your blog!

MLS-Yes I did. I am Smart Mouth, hear me roar! (Actually I wrote this in the den. *sigh*)

I don't know how big your bags are (sounds personal, doesn't it) but I usually fill them about 1/2 or less because I like a big poof at the top. I think your bags are much bigger than mine. Orrrrrrrrr......maybe you ate more than you bagged. *wink* I warned ya! Don't say I didn't.

Anonymous said...

I love Coldwater Creek. Guess that makes me old, too. LOL

Great post. :)

Anonymous said...

Ny mom makes this one...she started doing walnuts up for people (using the same recipe)when they were living on a property with a walnut grove that would drop thousand of walnuts each year...i can peronally geve testimony to how yummy they are...regardless of the type of nut you use.

and now i am sooo curious as to what you have up your sleeve re: the helping hands project...looking forward to hearing about it...when you get time!...cos no one said it had to be done before christmas...

Anonymous said...

I bought stuff to make white trash today! But ... they kind of didn't have everything so I'm making a NEW version of white trash. That should be ... interesting, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Coldwater Creek... a big favorite of this old gal too. However, since we moved last year, we are now in a town with a mall that does not have a lot of the better stores. Sad but true.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Mama-Sorry but yes. *sigh*

Thistle-I've never tried it with anything other than pecans. Will have to to now.

24-Go ahead! Make it your own. That's what I did. Just don't forget to tell us all about it.

BRG-I see you fixed your glitch...if that's what it was? I think I'm going to use the creek as my quiet place to regroup if I venture back to the mall again. And I will....believe me. Do you think they will let me sit in a corner with my peppermint mocha humming Christmas carols?

Anonymous said...

Oooh - I'll trade you your recipe for sweet nuts for my recipe for Fire and Spice Nuts. Think I'll post that this Thursday.

This looks yummy! Another recipe I'll have to give a whirl to.

Anonymous said...

Coldwater Creek? Even I'm not old enough to shop there! LOL LOL LOL

Tricia said...

I vote to make you ruler of the world, oh yes I do.

I love nuts, the kind you eat and the kind that make really good friends.

Anonymous said...

I just ordered two pair of jeans from Coldwater Creek because the bootleg fit great and they come in longs. There's nothing old about a lot of their clothes! It's Chico's that I feel too young to shop at. All that slinky one size fits everybody knit with long flowing Beatrice Arthur jackets to cover the parts that aren't pretty. O.k. sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes. I actually think I don't do Chico's because HBL's ex-wife practically owns everything the Chico's sells.

Pseudo said...

Is the store you hate the one where they pour teen boy cologne into the air conditioner, blast it through the front, and then have a couple half nekked 17 year old boys standing in the entrance? with the ultra thin T-shirts that cost $38 beacuse you have to factor in the cost of nekkedness?

I'm making goodies this weekend. Is the vanilla coating by the baked goods? Never seen it, never used it.

Anonymous said...

You know, I just got my nuts off ice, kicked the Darvocet, and have started to (almost) walk normally.

Oops. Wrong nuts. The recipe looks delicious! I love pecans. :D

Reader Wil said...

Wonderful recipe! I wished I lived next door to you! I like your sense of humour!

rachaelgking said...

HOORAY for Christmas!!! And how did you know I have a bag of pecans in my cupboard, left over from making these:

http://lemmonex.com/2007/10/14/all-that-is-right-with-the-world/

and waiting to be used?

Anonymous said...

Hey, this recipe sounds dreamy. I wonder if you could substitute Splenda for the sugar? Ever tried that?

And you're not old, SMB, those sales clerks were just stupid.

KJ
http://www.nanadiaries.com

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Jan-It's a deal!

Fancy-Just because you are a young,Luke Duke kissin' hottie is no reason to be makin' me feel bad about my advanced age. And btw, I never said I bought anything. I liked the music and the atmosphere as a refuge from teen hell. But they did have some nice things.

Tricia-Thanks for your vote of confidence. Nuts are the only kind of friends I have or maybe the only ones that will have me.

MLS-Stop braggin' about how tall you are. I didn't know that HBL was married to Bea Arthur! LOL

Pseudo-Actually there are two that are very similar but yes, you've got it! UGH. Torture and you get to pay dearly for it.

Vanilla coating at this time of year is usually on an endcap or in a special section for holiday baking. But if not, you can find it in the baking section. I'm not really sure that they carry it year round because I only make it at this time of year. If you don't find it at your grocer, check the craft section at WM or a craft store. Those little melting wafer work great but are more expensive.

GF-Great to see you up and around. Have Julia make you some nuts. You've had a rough week and deserve a nice treat!

RW-I wish you did too. We would have great fun. And either one of my neighbors would be happy to have you. *wink* And about the sense of humor, my neighbors just think I'm weird because I bleat at their goats.

Lilu-Make them! You'll love them. I'm going to check out your link asap.

Nana-See how they are!

I've never tried the nuts with Splenda. Go for it and tell me how it works. I like my treats to be full on and then I cut back other places. or not. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Yeah Nuts! I made some of these last week and we polished them off very quickly.
Love Coldwater Creek too cuz I'm an old broad..

Lori said...

This recipe sounds great and so did the one you shared yesterday. I love nuts so I'm sure I will love um. I will have to make some of these in the near future...thank you for sharing!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

ST-The nuts never last long around here. The UPS man has been nagging me for months to make more for him.

Smiles-Get the family to help you. You'll have a ball and everyone will love the results.