Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I WOULD BE YOUR FACEBOOK FRIEND (but I don’t know how)


Lately I've been getting a lot of invitations to join Facebook. I've always thought it was really just for kids but I guess that is because that's why I even know it exists. My daughters have explained to me what it means to have a Facebook friend. I've looked at their Facebook accounts and know it's a place to comment and show pictures and let everyone know what you are up to these days. I get it. ……..I think. But I just can't figure out what I would do with a Facebook account of my own. I can barely handle blogging and maintaining some resemblance of a real life. How on earth would I be able to find the time to facebook as well. (Did I use the word correctly? Can you use Facebook as a verb? Like google? ……….These are the things I would need to know and frankly just don't have the time to investigate.)

But even without a Facebook account, the phenomenon that it has become has changed our lives.

Last spring during prom season, we were busy getting ready for D2's Senior Prom. While shopping for a dress online (a blog post in itself) we were discussing what her friends were wearing. D2's best friend, CinDEErella has a boyfriend who was attending boarding school in Tennessee at the time. She travelled to TN to attend his prom. And then he travelled to Florida to attend hers. I was saying that her mother, Miss Lolly, was probably happy that she would only have to buy one prom dress. I mean CinDEErella and her One True Love would be the only people who saw her in the dress and there should be no reason that she couldn't wear it again.

I barely got the words out of my mouth when I realized………………………….we shook our heads in unison and said together……."Facebook". Pictures from the first prom in Tennessee were plastered all over DEErella's and One True Love's Facebook pages. The dress couldn't possibly do a repeat performance.

Later, I explained all this to My Harley Stud. He got that kind of glassy eyed stare that says, "I love you more than life itself but I really don't give a shit."

Fast forward another month. We are preparing for D2's high school graduation. MHS asked me what I thought he should wear to the ceremony. I explained that I had already taken his light jacket and brown pants to the cleaners and would be picking them up later that day.

He looked me in the eye and with a straight face said, "I can't wear those pants and that jacket. I wore that to the NO and BW's wedding."

Me: "So what."

MHS: "Duh.......Facebook!"


Great balls o fire! The man does listen to me.




28 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha this is so true! :)

thyme said...

Heh, you,ve got a Metro guy and you didn't even know it!

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! I hadn't even thought of it. Of course, I'd have to actually post pictures of myself on Facebook to have to worry about this! LOL

Anonymous said...

Tried it myself, but it was so time consuming. I find it easiest just to send family and friends an e-mail with a photo attached. But it is pretty funny that it affected his wardrobe choice... lol

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

binks said...

ROFL.

I have a FB account and I agree, there is barely time for blogging and real life.
Althouhg, it is fun getting to see everyone from a million years ago.

Anonymous said...

I recently got involved with Facebook and it is so true! I barely get to tend to my blogging and then I get all caught up in that?! How can one do both?!?! I play around a little over there, but not as intensely as some people do. Absolutely LOVE that MHS made that comment to you! Priceless!

Anonymous said...

Haha....I love MHS! I have facebook and it's very invasive to ones privacy, which I suppose is the point. I use it to connect with people I went to school with and some that I use to work with, plus I get a little networking out of it for my real estate. I found HBL's best friend (from the Army) on there and it cracks me up that this man is in his 60's and he's on there throwing drinks my way. (A blog post in itself, for sure). Anyway, I only look at mine about once or twice a week to see if I have any new friend requests. HBL just shakes his head.

Lo said...

bwahahahahahaha oh lordy girl. you know what? I DON'T GET FACEBOOK EITHER!!!!!!!!!! and i'm 'young'. or so people tell me. i don't feel so young but whatevah. i only got an account bc people would. not. leave. me . alone. about the damn thing. i go on about once a week and do a comment but i mostly use it as a clever way to send snarky hilarious comments to my coworker who is one of my best friends. we're not 'allowed' to be friends at work sooooooo we facebook one another. i know. i sound super young bc this is immature. but surrreiously i don't get it either!!!!!

at least HBL listens tho. THAT is worth all the rice in china!

Anonymous said...

Damn! No wonder HBL doesn't listen to me, he's listening to YOU!!!

Lo said...

damn!! why didn't i say Harley Stud??? dude. midlife slices was wrapped around my brain this morning and i said HBL. dude. just pinch me next time. i'm sure to wake up then. i guess i shouldn't be bloggin at 8am!!!! :)

Lo said...

.........at the risk of being a pest, isn't it ironic that from here i now go to facebook? hmmmmm.....

Debbie said...

Yes. Facebook is evil I believe! It certainly has sucked my kids (and husband) in.

Anonymous said...

i rarely use my facebook account...i find some people on my contact list *cough* my cousin *cough* post way to much information there...and i just don't have time for it because of the 2 1/2 blogs i have on the go...i feel my bloggers butt increasing as i type...

cheatymoon said...

Facebook is an excellent tool for spying on your children. So I've heard. I may or may not have an account (but if I did, Thistle, you should totally look me up).

And the phenomenon about the prom dress - yikes! I guess it's true...

Anonymous said...

Me too: I use Facebook for spying on my kids. Only the one who really needs spying on (the Baby, who's 16) won't answer my friend requests.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Goodbadandugly2-Thanks for visiting my site. I hope you'll come back again sometime.

thyme-Metro like metrosexual. Yeah, maybe he is.....hmmmm?

Fancy-We don't have a facebook account but our pictures are on both the girls pages.

BRG-Well, it didn't really affect his choices because he still wore what I selected.

Binks-Yeah, I think it might be fun to see who else might have facebook that I know but I really don't have time for another hobby. LOL

YC-He's quite the character when he wants to be.

MLS-Wait a minute! People buy you drinks on facebook? Maybe I need to look into this a little more. LOL

Lo-That makes me feel a lot better. And I'm doing pretty good if I have HBL listening to me. LOL

Debbie-Agreed. LOL

Thistle-I think Movie is sending you an invitation up there.

Movie-Mine are over 18 and there are some thing I would just rather not know. LOL

Duchess-If I did open a facebook account, I know my kids would not accept an invitation to be my friend. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

If you facebook, I'll facebook. I lie. I won't. I just want you to. :)

Fragrant Liar said...

Ah, that's so sweeeet! I love you more than life itself, but I don't give a shit. That man's a keeper!

;)

KJ

Pseudo said...

Your story made it more real for me. I'm like you. I barely have time to keep up with blogging and work and everything else.

But I know it is the big deal because my hub, who is barely computer literate, opened a Facebook account a couple weeks ago. A few of his old high school friends who live far away urged him to (San Fran/LA/Bali)so they could keep in touch easier. He asked me to help him start it 4 times. Each time I had to tell him if I had the time to figure it out, I would have done so already for myself.

Anonymous said...

LOL! That's the problem with being on facebook, everyone knows what you're doing and sees what you're wearing.

I'm on facebook, and at first I didn't think I would like it. However, I have to admit it's an easy way to stay in touch with everyone and see what they're up to. I also like the fact I feel like I know what is going on with all relatives and friends. So, even if I not in the same state, I feel connected.

Anonymous said...

I have a facebook acct. but I only use it for evil. My nieces rue the day they encouraged ME to be their friend :)

King of New York Hacks said...

Got in touch with all my grammer school friends from WAYYYY back , thaat was the good part , however way too time consuming.

rachaelgking said...

Can you use Facebook as a verb?

Back in my dating days, I DEFINITELY used the term "I facebooked the hell out of him" more than a few times...

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

FOFL here!! Loved it! Um..Facebook? Wha' that??

Tricia said...

Your Harley stud is hillarious!

And about Facebook...run for your life. I've just started using it, and it's a HUGE time suck. Fun, kind of, but it's like this moment-by-moment in your face kind of thing. I'm not sure I can stand to be that wired or hip.

Lori said...

As much as I would love to get a face book account, I won't because of the time issue. I can barely keep up with blogs these days so can't imagine trying to do something else. I am tempted though just because it would be fun to connect with people.
Your husband is soo funny!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

BV-Hey, that's not fair. But anyway....no chance. It's taken me two days just to get back here to comment.

Liar-Yep, I think I'll keep him.

Pseudo-Your husband sounds a lot like MHS. But I don't think MHS would have any interest in Facebook. But you never know.

Geri-I think the biggest problem for me is the time. And I don't think my friends and relatives that live far away would be on facebook either.

Joan-Ingriguing. That sounds like a blog post. Do tell.

King-It's the time suck thing that keeps me away.

Lilu-I thought I had heard that somewhere.

Mona-Now that's what you need to spill all your real feelings.....a facebook account. LOL

Tricia-And he really doesn't even try.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Way more time required that I have to offer.

Smiles-I know what you mean and that is exactly why you won't find me there. At least for now.....
Smiles

Anonymous said...

LOL, this is great!