Thursday, October 9, 2008

CRANKY OLD BROAD

I'm in a funk. And I've got no good reason. PMS? Maybe. Whatever it is, it ain't pretty. Normally, I'm Mary Sunshine (or at least I used to be) but the last few days have me cranky, unreasonable, foul and here's a new word I've learned in the blogosphere: snarky. I'm not even sure what that means but I think it just sounds fitting. Let me know if I'm using it inappropriately. In honor of my less than cheerful mood, I am going to declare today: Ornery Thursday. I'm gonna get down and wallow in it. Let the crabbiness squish up between my toes. I realize that many use this day to be thankful. Not me, not today. I do that on Sundays (when I remember). Today and just today or until this nasty mood strikes me again, I'm gonna let rip with my Top Ten Seven Pet Peeves or at least the ones that I can think of at the moment.

  1. People who keep hitting the elevator button. (Like it's going to come to your floor faster if you hit the dang button 500 times) I was told by a New Yorker that this is a New York thing. Great, now I"ve got a whole huge city of people who p*ss me off.
  2. People who rush into the elevator before the people inside have a chance to exit. (I'm having elevator issues today)
  3. When people say, "It's always in the last place you look." Well, duh! Why would you continue to look if you found it. So of course it's the LAST place! (I'm guilty of using this phrase myself but that doesn't change the fact that it's a dumb thing to say.)
  4. The election. The media talking about the election. Commercials about the election. Phone messages on my machine about the election. The election, again, because I really mean it.
  5. Sarah Palin's glasses. I really like her glasses. I wish they were mine. They're not. So that's why they're on this list. Hate the nonsense…. (both sides) …Love the glasses.
  6. Breast cancer. Nuff said.
  7. Gas stations that advertise low prices and then when you pull up to the pump find that the low price is for cash only. Who carries that kind of cash around?Who goes inside anymore unless you need coffee or a drink?
  8. Uhhhhhhh. Hmmmmm? I give up. Maybe I'm not as cranky as I thought I was. I feel better now.
Now that I feel better, what's bugging you?

18 comments:

Pseudo said...

It's in the air. I just came from one of my other internet friend's and that post was about suckiness.

I learned snarky on the internet recently too. I do think you used it right, but I have not before heard someone use the term in reference to themself.

Anonymous said...

yuo have used 'snarky' quite correctly...i'm wondering if it's in a dictionary some place...but not curious enough to go and look for you...sorry LOL

i had a sucky day too, finally threw in the towel on a client and 'strongly suggested' to his stupid case manager to let him go for a crisis management stay cos i'm sick of dealing with BOTH of them (didn't say that last part out loud ...yet!)

it's definitely in the air!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, great list! Ironically, I learned that 'snark' is also a noun! This post really snarked up a storm, hee hee.

I'm glad you feel better ;).

Bear Naked said...

Hey Snarky must be a Canadian word.
I've known about snarkiness for years.
I have at times been snarky myself when certain people or events have pi$$ed me off but I have found that a chilled glass of vino blanco usually mellows me out.
Take two glasses and call me in the morning.

Bear((( )))
ps: I have a little linky to one of your posts today.

Vodka Mom said...

I've had those crappy days. Take two martinis and call me in the morning.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

PHST-It must be in the air, you're right. I'm hearing it a lot from everywhere.

Thistle-Glad to know I got it right. Who knew I could learn so much from blogging. And now I have to go look it up because I was too lazy too but now it's bugging me.
I hear ya about the words in our head. I would probably be in jail if I said out loud what I'm thinking half the time. (or the hospital)

Goodfather-Geesh, now I really have to go look it up. Thanks.:-)

Bear-I will take your advice asap.

Vodka Mom-And I will take yours too and just me a great ole time tonight. LOL

Lori said...

My goodness, your post today is quite fitting for how I am feeling today. Here I am on vacation and I feel pissed off and ready to blow. I'm not sure if it's because my little guy is still having behavior issues due to his moms visit, and not everyone has the patience for his constant whining and crying(not that I really do either but since I'm the mommy at hand, I have to suck it up.) And quite honestly it is affecting our vacation and it makes me pissed off that his birth mom has this affect on him. Or if it's because even though I am on vacation I am still up early because my little ones are early risers. Or if it's the realization that just because we are on vacation I am still cooking, doing dishes, cleaning up, doing laundry and all the other stuff that comes along with being a mommy. The reality is that just because we are on "vacation" doesn't mean I get two minutes for myself. Why did I think that going on vacation would be any different then home? All I have done is change locations of my every day "work". So yeah, I am feeling pretty snarky right about now.

Somehow knowing that someone else has days that they feel like this helps...thank you for sharing. Thats one of the things I like about you...your real and honest...ok thats 2 things...hope your day goes better today.

Where do you live in Florida? We are staying in Ft. Lauderdale. Is that far from you?

Anonymous said...

Dear Lord...I could have written this list myself. The whole elevator etiquette, or lack thereof, just drives me bonkers. Pushing the dang button is not going to make the elevator come any faster - and why are they in such a hurry anyway?

My peeve today is the woman I work with who asks me a question. I give the answer. And then she debates with me. Hello???? You asked. I answered. If you already had your answer, why'd you ask me? I'm not going to change my mind just because you didn't get the answer y ou wanted.

Now, you've got me started, SMB!!!!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Smiles-Sounds like you need to bug out for awhile and meet a friend for a drink....hint, hint.

Fancy-Glad to be of service..LOL
Do we work in the same building?

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I'm sorry you're having a bad day but remember it's a short work day so that should be worth a smile tiny smile. You can call me and I'll tell you all the crap going on in my life and that should cheer you up. LOL I like your top seven list and should put one up of my own. In fact....I think I'll steal your idea and run with it.

Take 2 beer and a two hour nap and call me in the morning. )

Now that you've been prescribed vino, martini's, and beer you should be fixed up in no time.

Anonymous said...

p.s. I love the title to this post. In fact, I resemble the title to this post. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with pseudonymous - it's in the air. I started my last post off with a rant too. I'm right there with you in the "cranky old broad" department.

Vodka Mom has the PERFECT prescription, and one I shall follow the minute I get home.

Insane Mama said...

I'm in a bit of a mood too, hope it passes soon

Smart Mouth Broad said...

MLS-If I drank all that, I would fixed up and out cold. I talk a good game but really, I'm pretty much a light weight. Yeah, I was feeling pretty crabby but when it got down to it, I didn't have all that much to be crabby about. So, PMS, I guess. Can you still PMS when you have no M? Hmmm? Maybe it's PS. LOL
Maybe we should all start a new team blog that's called Cranky Old Broads. LOL

Jan-Please join MLS and I for our COB blog. LOL

Insane Mama-Looks like the team is growing fast. Thanks for stopping by.

Lynn - the piggy bank painter said...

Huh. It must be in the air. I shot off an email venting to the one teacher at school whom I help with extracurricular stuff, instead of posting it on my blog. But boy was I pissed earlier....I feel better now, although I just may finish the mudslide tonight anyway.

My peeve is I hate people who can't fill out a simple form correctly and make me waste my time trying to figure out what the heck they want. Like I have time to spare....


Go see what I donated at the Super Duper SuperWAHMz Contest!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Lynn-I find venting to be so liberating. Better to let off the steam little by little than just blow one day. LOL

Anonymous said...

Wow! Now that it's Friday I hope you are having a better day. My blog today was about how pi$$ed I am about this bail-out crap. You are right.....must be an air quality thing.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Stepping Thru-I am having a better day,today. Thank you very much. I'll be over later today to see what you have to say.