Tuesday, November 4, 2008

THE PAULA DEEN SCENE

Guess what's at the corner of Congress and Whitaker Streets in Savannah?


As previously announced, Pualani, Smitty, MHS and I dined at the Lady and Sons' restaurant tonight.


I was really excited to have the photo op of a lifetime!

Our server was Mike. Mike was great. I wish I would have taken a picture of Mike. I didn't. Maybe someday I will become one of those bloggers whose camera is ever-ready to snap that perfect picture that says a thousand words.

But I did take this picture: (OK, Pualani actually snapped the photo)

This is the greatest thing ever invented. It's the hand drier in the ladies room. That sucker really blows! It literally moved the skin on my hands. Now I know that I'm aging but the skin on my hands is not that loose. (Look at that picture! My hands are normally lovely and young looking.)But this thing made the flesh of my hands flap in the breeze. I was so impressed, I remembered to take my camera (and Pualani to take the picture) on my second trip to the restroom. (See this post for reference to my weak bladder)

I forgot to take pictures of our appetizers. We had friend green tomatoes and crab stuffed Portobello mushrooms. But here's what we had for dinner:

My brother took the advice of Pseudonymous High School Teacher and ordered the chicken pot pie. I took several bites (coz I'm his baby sister and he can't refuse me anything) and this was REALLY good. Like no pot pie I've ever had. Thanks for the recommendation, Pseudo!

Pualani had the stuffed shrimp. I sampled this one too and Yummmm! The shrimp was stuffed with crab and then wrapped in bacon and smothered in something sinful. Mmm, Mmm Good.


This was my plate. It may not look so pretty, black beans seldom do but it was delectable. I love crab cakes and these ranked up there with the best I've ever had. They were served with a creamy dill sauce and a side of black beans over white rice with pico de gallo. Yum again!

MHS ordered one of the specials. As you can see, he couldn't wait for me to take my pictures before diggin' in. He had a New York strip steak smothered in carmelized onions with a tasty merlot sauce, steak fries and asparagus wrapped in bacon. I tried to have a taste but he stabbed my hand with his fork. Ouch!

See that room over Pualani's shoulder? I had one of those Midlife Slices moments *wink* (Luv ya, Janie) and even after being told that it was a mirror continued to think there were people in that "back room."

I'm really sorry that the only Paula in attendance was of the cardboard variety so I didn't have the opportunity to make a complete fool of myself for your reading/viewing pleasure. But I did give you that really cool hand blower picture. I get points for that right? And I promise you that if I get enough write-in votes tonight and become President of these United States of America, I will see to it that one of those hand driers is placed in every public restroom in America! And Canada too!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lord save us...now i'm starving!! This. Is why i do not watch the food channel. Excuse me while i go and dig thru the fridge for some pickles or yogurt or something equally disappointing *sigh*

great pics tho!!

Anonymous said...

YUM...that food looks great and make the chicken noodle soup that I had for supper look really sad. LOL at your MLS moment and thanks for reminding everyone!!! I definitely wrote your name in for President and I've yet to peek and see how it's going but I fear since you didn't have 605 million bucks behind you, it might not be pretty.

But, you'll always be my number 1 choice no matter what. Sorry you didn't get to see Paula in the flesh but the picture was great and it looks like a good time was had by all.

Have fun and stay safe and you'll be happy to know I'll be posting a picture of my flop....soon. Just for you!!

Anonymous said...

Suddenly, I'm starving to death!!! YUM...the food looks delicious and it sounds like you all enjoyed your meal and evening.

Sorry you didn't get to see Paula, but the picture is priceless.

Now...about the hand dryer. I'm curious. Do you think if I stuck my face under it - that it would blow the skin back, tying the excess behind my ears for a quick and dirty face lift? I'm willing to give it a shot. If it doesn't work... at least I can enjoy the "ride".

Pseudo said...

I shouldn't look at those pics before breakfast -I'm with thistle. Nothing in my fridge will do now.

Glad your brother enjoyed the pot pie, I forgot that it was also so pretty. Everything else looks so yum.

Tricia said...

This sounds like a wonderful evening. I want one of those hand dryers for my child!!! And that food...I really need to take a trip to Savannah!

The Chicago Blogger said...

Yay! OMG everything looks DELISH. I would break my good eating routine for that pot pie! :) And that steak. And the shrimp. And the black beans. Ok, ok, I'm stopping. :)

Looks like you're having a wonderful time. Enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, it's 8:30 AM and now I'm hungry for dinner. :D Great pics!

Twenty Four At Heart said...

You made me hungry! And instead of eating, I need to go workout now. Such a bummer ... I'll be thinking about all that yummy food while I exercise!

Anonymous said...

Good gawd, I think my arteries just exploded vicariously.

Anonymous said...

The food my friends brought tonight didn't look nearly as good as these plates. YUM! I may have to get My BFF to take me to Savannah!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that all makes my stomach growl! Yum.

KJ
http://www.nanadiaries.com

Pseudo said...

Hey there - when you are done galavanting around with your company, come on by. I've got something for you. and tell your brother and Pualani that Oahu says hi.

Vodka Mom said...

That looks delicious!!!!! My sister and I LOVE Paula, and some day I would LOVE to take her there!! I am SO damn jealous.

Anonymous said...

Daaaaaaaaaaang!

That food looks awesome!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Thistle-Sorry about that. It was really good. Does it help that I will have to live at the gym for the next month to work it off?

MLS-Sorry I didn't win. I guess the hand dryers will have to wait another 4 years.

Fancy-I tried to get Smitty to stick his face under the dryer to see but no dice.

Tricia-Definitely...GO!

Diana-It was worth whatever time it requires to work it off in the gym.

GF-I would eat food like that at any time of day if I could get it

Pseudo-We ALL enjoyed that pot pie and are still talking about it.

24-I'm going to be thinking about it for the next month while I'm at the gym. LOL

Jan-Is that possible? I could be in big trouble.

Stepping Thru-I would definitely recommend a trip to Savannah.

Nana-Sorry about that. It was yummy!

Pseudo-That was very nice of you. Thanks so much. I will get right on it when I get back home.

VodkaMom-Sounds like you and your sister need to take a girls roadtrip!

Slick-Daaaaaaaaang is RIGHT!

Bear Naked said...

Come visit my blog on Friday, I have a link to your blog and a *special* gift for you.

Bear((( )))

Lori said...

The food looks wonderful...I think I gained 10 lb.s just looking at it though. Sorry you didn't get to see Paula but the four of you look very happy to be out having a good time!
I have always wanted to try fried green tomatoes...okay, now I am really hungry.

Lynn - the piggy bank painter said...

<('(..)')>

it all looks yummy!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Bear-Thank you so much. I will get right to displaying the award asap. I'm still at Daddy's now.

Smiles-Let's not talk about weight gain, ok? Fried green tomatoes are wonderful. Try them.

Lynn-Oh, it was yummy!

Bookworm said...

Mmmmmm I am really hungry now. I do love me some crab cakes and so I am so jealous LOL It's very hard to find good ones.